Monday, February 23, 2009

18 Month Explosion!

I've been meaning to post lately, but when I realized that Logan turned 19 months today, I knew I needed to actually get it done!  This has been an exciting time in Logan's development!  So much has happened with him that I'm not sure where to start...  

One thing that has blown me away is that Logan can recognize all of his letters and tell you what sound they make!  I've been singing a song of letters, sounds, and a word that starts with that letter to him off and on casually for a while.  Well, the last week of January I bought Logan a puzzle of the alphabet.  I thought since there were so many pieces it would be too difficult, but left it out for him to play with just to see how he did.  Boy was I wrong!  Logan could already tell me about a quarter of the sounds, and had no trouble putting the puzzle together!  In about a week, he was telling me about half of the sounds, and a month later he recognizes them all, knows all of the sounds, and is starting to recognize some lower case letters too!  Who knew he had been listening to my song all along!  He loves music and sounds.  Letters are beginning to be the new obsession... he loves to point them out everywhere.  He's even sounded out words in order, the sounds just don't blend yet.

There is a pretty funny story about his letters.  We were blowing bubbles the other day on his alphabet mat, and I could not get him to stop putting the bubble wand on his lips.  As we were playing, I asked him what sound P made.  When he answered, he unknowingly blew a bubble from the bubble residue on his lips!  

Another thing that Logan has significantly progressed in is numbers.  Most of you know about his obsession with clocks... I can't tell you how many times my child has asked me to count the numbers on a clock!  I think this is what contributes to his number recognition.  He recognizes numbers 1-12, but sometimes confuses the 6 and 9.  He has also counted more himself.  If I say one, he can say 2, 3, 4, 5, I say 6, 7, he can say 8, 9, I say 10, 11, he can say 12.  He doesn't do this often, but I've started counting to 20 with him now to challenge him more. He also understands one to one correspondence.  He usually moves things one at a time as I count.  

Logan also talks in many more short phrases and sentences now.  He usually strings together 2, 3 or 4 words.  His vocabulary has increased tremendously this month.  One day early in the month, I was astonished at how many new words he said, and counted 16 in one day!  I don't think I realized how much he talks nonstop at home until I was sick recently and couldn't sleep because I kept hearing his sweet little voice (which has no quiet setting!)

Being a former kindergarten teacher, I am super excited to be able to teach him all of these things!!  Logan constantly amazes me doing things I don't expect him to be able to do.  It makes it even more fun that he enjoys learning so much!  I pray that God would use these things to show Logan Himself. He is the One who created them all. Even though I teach them to Logan, He is the one who allows him to understand. I have to remind myself constantly that none of these things matter without Christ. Proverbs 10:14 says, "Wise men store up knowledge." I hope I can teach Logan to balance that with 1 Corinthians 8:1 that tells us "knowledge puffs up, but love builds up!"

Don't miss the video of Logan rocking out!



Click to play this Smilebox scrapbook: Valentine
Create your own scrapbook - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox scrapbook

6 comments:

Steven and Candi Manning said...

Wow, I can't believe he knows his alphabet and the sounds each letter makes - that's awesome! You've got to teach me that song so that I can teach my twins.

Radez Family said...

I know - it's crazy! I'll have to teach it to you. You can also buy the CD from a curriculum called Sing, Spell, Read, and Write. I just changed their letter sounds song to include the name of the letter too. I found that some kids knew the sounds, but not names of letters. This song was one of the only things that calmed him down as an infant too. He's always been really into sounds!

Sarah Robbins said...

Hey friend- he is getting so big! I am working on a long email to answer your Facebook questions, this is just a busy time with Spring Break starting next week. Maybe we could schedule a phone call? Just let me know!

Fourdaughters said...

Miss you guys, I just had to take a look at your blog and see your cute pictures

Fourdaughters said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarah Robbins said...

Hey you- Hear you have some news. . . :)